VidYard: Becoming a Twitter Phenomenon in 4 Simple Steps

Michael Litt and Devon Galloway touched on many of the key concerns of startups when talking to our students this past Tuesday; fundraising, building relationships, and acquiring talent. Perhaps the most welcomed lesson however, was that of becoming a Twitter phenomenon. Mike attributes the success of both VidYard and Redwoods Media to this one social medium.

The key, Mike states, is to consider the following list:

1. Competitors

2. Relationships

3. The 95/5 Rule

4. Your Bio

Your first step in approaching the twitterverse from a business standpoint is to find out who your competitors are.  This serves several purposes. Primarily, providing insight into market share – if a company has not recently used its Twitter account, this indicates a potential opportunity for you to take over that market (or at least the segment that tweets). By following competitors, you are privy to any and all product or service related updates. You can also gain access to their followers, and thus insight into their customer relations.

Building relationships is key in every area of a business, but with Twitter, this need is heightened. You cannot simply tweet for a week and forget about an account. Twitter accounts are associated with a personality, and thus you must continually nurture and maintain those online relationships through use of the @ symbol.

This maintenance is bolstered through the use of the 95/5 rule. To effectively use Twitter, you must only promote your business 5% of the time. The other 95% of your tweets should be somewhat related to your business. This will ensure that your account is not perceived as cluttering followers’ twitter feeds.

Finally, you must consider your bio. It is the very first thing people look to when coming across your Twitter profile. The easiest way to get everything down in that 140 character space is to link it to an about.me page that houses all relevant personal information, as well as linking to your company. Mike also recommends using your own photo as opposed to a company logo – in doing so, followers will recognize that they are working with a human being, not just a business.

Photo by Kimchi Ho

Join Mike’s 31,699 followers @michaelrlitt |  Join Devon’s 10,329 followers @devongall

Check out VidYard and Redwoods Media