Velocity is hiring a Business Advisor
Note: Thank you for your interest. However, we’re no longer accepting additional applications at this time.
The successful incumbent will join a high performance, tight-knit team of 9 that focus on Velocity’s startup incubation mission while interacting with other members of the team that focus on Velocity’s entrepreneurship pipeline building activities on the University of Waterloo campus.
Reporting to the Director, the incumbent will be 1 of 4 Business Advisors directly supporting founders and startups working out of the Velocity Garage incubator. The Business Advisor team is comprised of people with first-hand startup experience (who have either had or been part of the early stages of a startup themselves). They use this first-hand experience, combined with their other industry experiences to support founders via:
- 1:1 coaching of early/growth-stage startups
- Meeting with companies on an ongoing basis
- Supporting the creation of programs, events, and infrastructure
- Leveraging and extending the Velocity support network of other domain experts
Additional responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and interviewing prospective startups applying to Velocity
- Managing companies use of Velocity resources and space
- Making startup acceptance & exit decisions
- Representing Velocity at key events and tours, and with partners
The Business Advisor team supports ~70 companies at the Velocity Garage. Each Advisor has a portion of that portfolio that they are the primary Advisor on, enabling them to develop a deeper relationship with and an understanding of their portfolio companies and founders.
We take pride in our commitment to building deep and lasting relationships with the founders we support. Our Business Advisor team can dig in and “get their hands” dirty, and this is possible because of the full-time nature of this team and their orientation toward the complex, messy, and difficult-to-navigate challenges of startups.
The Business Advisor we’re looking to add to the Velocity team must have in-depth experience in one or more of:
- Founder/early-employee at a startup through go-to-market/commercialization
- Customer discovery, problem validation, and concept maturing
- Building software-based products/businesses (e.g., mobile, SaaS, dev-ops)
- Building AI/data-science based products/businesses
- Building a product/business in MedTech and/or HealthTech sectors
- Fueling sales & growth after seeing strong signals of product-market fit
- Raising capital (e.g., pre-seed, seed, or Series A stage)
Note: You do not have to meet all of the requirements above in order to apply.
We have a strong preference for this position to be full-time, but for exceptional candidates, we would consider part-time (e.g., minimum 3 days per week). A high degree of organizational abilities, interpersonal acumen, and problem solving are required to assist startups and founders while balancing Velocity’s multiple priorities, partners, facilities, and programs.
Feeling uncomfortably excited about this opportunity/role? Think you’re a great fit? We’d love to hear from you. Please apply with a resume and letter of interest via this link.
Our first review of applications will start on May 1 with interviews tentatively scheduled for mid-May.
We will do our best to consider applications submitted after that date.
- 1-year contract
- Salary band: Staff position, USG 12
- Target (we have some flexibility) start: June 2019
Velocity’s mission is to ignite & fuel the entrepreneurial spirit in the pursuit of economic and social value creation. We do this in two ways: supporting startups and cultivating an entrepreneurial culture and pipeline within the UWaterloo community. Pipeline building within the campus community is focused around providing inspiration, information and guidance as it relates to entrepreneurship and startup commercialization. Supporting startups is focused around discovering opportunities, building product and preparing for growth/scale. We pay special attention to cultivating a high-performance environment in which founders can grow/succeed.
Our mission is executed via several University of Waterloo entrepreneurship programs, including the Velocity Garage, a >37,000 sq. ft. startup incubator in downtown Kitchener (open to all startups, not just UWaterloo affiliated); campus programs include the Velocity Student Grant pitch competition; Velocity Science, an on-campus lab and community for entrepreneurial science discovery; and Velocity Start, a place for students to discover entrepreneurship through weekly workshops, startup coaching, and more.
Velocity has been in operation for 10 years and has a demonstrated track record, having helped incubate 300+ companies, which have raised $950+ million in investment and employ >2,250 people.