If you need any of VeloCity’s logos, the General Program Overview, or copy about each of our programs, you can download the VeloCity Media Kit here.
- VeloCity is a student startup program of the University of Waterloo
- The VeloCity program celebrates 5 years this year (2013)
- VeloCity supports any University of Waterloo student with a business idea by providing opportunities for funding, free workspace, workshops, networking opportunities and access to mentors
- At least one founding member must be a University of Waterloo student or graduate of the University. Startup founders come from University of Waterloo programs ranging from mechatronics, nanotechnology, systems design, mechanical engineering, math, science, computer science, arts and more.
- Over 45 companies have been established through VeloCity, including Kik Interactive which today has over 80 million registered users; BufferBox, which was acquired by Google last year; and Thalmic Labs, which recently raised over $15 million in funding from outside investors
- Over $90 million in funding has been raised by VeloCity startups to date
- Startup funding is available through VeloCity Venture Fund competitions. Through this fund, VeloCity awards over $300,000 to promising startups eachyear. Competitions take place three times a year. VeloCity takes no intellectual property rights or equity in return.
- Approx. 30 student startups operate out of the VeloCity Garage in downtown Kitchener. Each startup earned their place at the VeloCity Garage through an application process, or by winning a VeloCity Venture Fund competition. At least one founding member must be a University of Waterloo student or graduate of the University within the year of starting their business.
- VeloCity Residence on the University of Waterloo main campus houses another 70 entrepreneurial students
- VeloCity runs weekly programming through the VeloCity Campus program to provide students from any faculty access to entrepreneurship workshops and networking opportunities
- Demand for VeloCity programming continues to grow each year
- VeloCity is integral to the University of Waterloo’s vibrant startup culture. VeloCity is one of the many programs that have helped to uphold the University of Waterloo’s position as Canada’s most innovative university for over 20 years
- VeloCity is funded through the University of Waterloo, the Government of Ontario, and private donors
- For more information, visit www.velocity.uwaterloo.ca
last updated Sept. 2013